How a three-phase strategy helped improve AdWords performance

A customer service software and services company was looking to improve cost effectiveness of their AdWords campaigns
Problem Statement
The AdWords account had been running campaigns for a while with no clear path to optimize and the campaigns KPIs are sub par
We suspected that the reason behind low-quality impressions could be because of various factors such as negative search terms, irrelevant keywords, and no landing page. Hence, we conducted the following steps:
Phase 1: Reduce Wastage and Optimize Cost
Based on existing keywords and search term report we determined low intent high spending keywords that are not bringing in relevant users. We conducted a parallel keyword analysis for high intent keywords using our in-house tool and Keyword Planner. The AdWords account was then restructured to build a keyword group view of the campaign and toggle ad groups based on relevance and spend. Costs were optimized for LiveWorld since we were able to plug wastage by continually adding negative keywords and pausing low-performing keywords. We took a conscious decisions to remove broad match modifier keywords even sacrificing some relevant clicks
Phase 2: Improve Performance KPIs Key
performance indicators (KPIs) such as CTRs, Impression Share and Relative CTRs improved by, having a minimum of 5 ads per ad group, adding ad extensions, bid optimization at device level, location level and demographic level. Ensuring consistent CTRs has been the objective for this phase
Phase 3: Improve Business KPIs
The third phase included improving business KPIs such as Conversions and Cost Per Conversion. The objective was to get highly relevant users to the landing page. By click wise monitoring of search terms we maintained 92% relevant search terms for all campaigns. By using heatmap analytics modified the landing pages aimed to keep user focus on the form and hence improve conversion rates
Our main aim was to start driving traffic as soon as possible and improve the ROI of the campaign by targeting the keywords to the right intent users. Within 5 to 6 weeks, we were able to achieve the following results:
Overall Account Health Improved
Search Terms Relevance increased from 65% to 90%
Overall keyword click-through